Re: German to UK phone wiring

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: German to UK phone wiring
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:38:20 +0100

Keith,

Thanks for your help.

I did some fiddling last night with two phones, a master socket, and also,
just to see if it would work by taping the (A/B) output wires from the PBX
to the phone socket (I found that the two outermost connectors (2 and 5) on
the phone plug gave the results I was looking for).

The interesting thing was that I tried two phones:

1. A BT Falcon II answerphone/phone (rebadged Panasonic)

2. A Hagenuk DECT cordless phone

The Falcon II would not ring no matter what I tried. The ringer in the
phone
may be faulty, but I personally don't have an analogue exchange socket to
try it on to test that it is working. The Hagenuk was working fine, even by
splicing in the wires, so as you suspected the ring signal is being sent on
the A/B lines by the PBX. The thing that confuses me slightly (it doesn't
take much), is that from reading your pots page speech is 2 and 5 and ring
is 3 and 5. Given that the output port is designed to work with ordinary
analogue phones does this imply (and I'm thinking as I'm going along here)
that the Hagenuk is designed to accept the ring on 2 and/or 3, so it can be
used behind PBXs?

This has all come about because my brother has a 10 year old digital key
system in his house with 2 incoming lines. Toshiba stopped making spares
some 4 years ago, and it needs a repair. I have suggested that a cheap and
elegant solution will be to replace it with a BT Diverse ISDN cordless PBX
with 7 extensions (it is a big house). One of the BIG benefits is that he
has two young children approaching their teens, and by using the second MSN
he will be able to give them their own number so he doesn't have to
continually answer calls intended for them! I use the Siemens badged
version
at home, with the PC acting as the answerphone. For his version I want to
connect an answerphone to the analogue port, and set up call groups, so
that
if an extension remains unanswered for a specified number of rings, the
call
diverts to the answerphone. The reason I'm trying the German system, is
that
I have a choice - buy the Siemens system (which is EuroISDN approved) at
£700 for the PBX and extensions - or buy the BT badged system at £1200. The
Siemens system I know has the facility to work with an entryphone - I'm not
sure about the BT version - but am trying hard to find out.

I wonder if you might be able to help with something. The ISDN helpline
keeps telling me that the full EuroISDN spec will be available
"soon". At
the moment ISDN2e only offers a sub-set of facilites i.e. Call Divert can
only be set by the exchange, and not at the CPE (Nice BT acronym), Ring
back
on busy is not available, nor is call parking, or hold at the exchange, or
call waiting. (Call waiting is available but only using the second line,
when it becomes properly available call waiting will work even when both B
channels are occupied, as it uses the D channel for signalling. Can any of
your colleagues shed any light on this, or do they work much further into
the future?

Tim.

must be
> kept quite
> low or the mechanical bits of the bell will not work properly.
>
> All modern phones will work with almost anything (including DC applied
> across 3 & 5) as the ringing sound is actually produced by a chip.
The AC
> ringing passes through the capacitor into the ringing circuit where it
is
> rectified to DC to drive the chip.
>
> Try it out and see how you get on. You wont do any damage so long
> as the PBX
> is designed for 2 wire analogue phones.
>
> Keith Doxey
> http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
> Krazy Keith's World of DIY HomeAutomation

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications