Re: Realserver G2 - music distribution

>I've spent a bit of time on RealServer and RealProducer. I want to use
>the playback during record facility such that: at 7am begin recording
>radio 4, get up at 7:15am,  *snip*

I haven't looked at this yet particularly as I'm actually having a little=
trouble
getting a live broadcast connection using RealPlayer.. any ideas on this
would be appreciated...

>software. However the API is aimed at C/C++ and I've stalled because
I'd
>rather code in Visual Basic...

I'm coding in VB too so I'll be looking at this bit soon although access
to=
the
RealServer over the network is extremely easy using the
"RealPlayer ActiveX  Control Library" (should be in the
components dialog).

>Microsoft produce a competitor which is also free, and accessible via
>ActiveX (hence I can use VB) but the trouble is the server software
must

What's the MS product called?

>I don't see the advantage to using streaming audio to provide whole
>house audio. There looks to be an awful lot of effort involved in
>setting up the albums and playlist information, and there is little in
>the way of jukebox software designed to access a G2 server, so you'd
>have to write it yourself.

This isn't really a problem as I' already writing my own automated house
software. I haven't found an MP3 palyer to do what I want so wrote my own
(only using the MS Media player) so there isn't much to change for the=
Realplayer
version.

>Streaming audio seems designed to overcome
>bandwith and multicast problems over the Internet and intranets: in a
>house environment you presumably don't have a bandwith issue.

You're right bandwidth isn't aroblem here but I want to explore all avenues
before I decide to go either way,,,

--- Tag-it V1.0 (c) Andy Powell 1998
It is not paranoia if they really are after you. - Dave Arment

MyPoints-Free Rewards When You're Online. =

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications