Re: Realserver G2 - music distribution

I've spent a bit of time on RealServer and RealProducer. I want to use
the playback during record facility such that: at 7am begin recording
radio 4, get up at 7:15am, system begins playing from beginning of
recording. This means I get to hear the news headlines no matter what
time I get up.

The problems are that the standard Real software doesn't incorporate any
facilities for scheduling what it terms a live broadcast - you have to
manually set it up using RealProducer then click 'record'. They do
however provide an API for controlling the encoder and server via custom
software. However the API is aimed at C/C++ and I've stalled because I'd
rather code in Visual Basic...

Microsoft produce a competitor which is also free, and accessible via
ActiveX (hence I can use VB) but the trouble is the server software must
run on an NT Server (Workstation is not good enough). I'm tossing up at
the moment whether I should lock myself into Microsoft's odd audio
format and NTS requirement, or go for the harder but possibly better
route of using G2... I don't want to spend ages working on this aspect
simply to allow me to listen to radio 4 at a more convenient time.

I don't see the advantage to using streaming audio to provide whole
house audio. There looks to be an awful lot of effort involved in
setting up the albums and playlist information, and there is little in
the way of jukebox software designed to access a G2 server, so you'd
have to write it yourself. Streaming audio seems designed to overcome
bandwith and multicast problems over the Internet and intranets: in a
house environment you presumably don't have a bandwith issue.
Consequently I'd have thought you were better of sticking with several
machines running MP3 jukebox software accessing your existing repository
of MP3 files using good old fashioned file server technology.

Let me know how far you've got because I may have missed something and
perhaps it's easier than I think...

Ray.

Simplifying group communications

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805