Re: Which kettle?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Which kettle?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:42:53 +0100

Hi Mark,

It probably wouldnt take too long for the 2 or 3 litres of water in a
domestic kettle to noticabley drop in level. What you need is some sort of
X10 controlled solenoid built into the kettle that would push the switch
into the ON position when momentarily energised. It would probably be quite
easy to get a solenoid into the handle of a typical jug kettle to operate
the switch, the difficult bit would be where to hide the X10 board.

If there was a way to get a fourth connection to the kettle then the
electronics could be hidden in the base with the trigger signal being fed
up
the 4th wire and returning via neutral.

The alternative would be to butcher an X10 module (prefferably US as its
MUCH cheaper) and stuff the bits into a small plastic enclosure fixed to
the
handle of the kettle in some way. It would work but look pretty bodged :-(

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY HomeAutomation

question:

> Consider the following scenario:
>
> - Before I go to bed, I fill up my kettle, and turn it on (at the
> kettle), but plugged into a controlled socket.
> - In the morning, my HA system turns on the kettle (either at a
> predefined time, or 'cos I hit a remote switch).
> - I clean my teeth, and go to the loo.
> - I go downstairs, the kettle has now boiled.
> - I make coffees.
>
> This works fine, until Saturday morning, when:
>
> - ... I clean my teeth, and go to the loo.
> - I decide to go back to bed for an hour.
> - I go downstairs, the kettle has now boiled.
> - Unfortunately it's got to boiling, and thermostat has turned it off.
> - It's then cooled down again.
>
> What I therefore need is a kettle with a thermostat that both turns
> _off_ at 100degrees, but also back on again when it drops to
95degrees.
> It probably also has an on-off switch for use by Joe Punter who
doesn't
> have a remote controlled socket.
>
> I've not been able to find one, let alone one that also is
"cordless".

> Can anyone help?
>
> Mark Harrison
> European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
> Tel: +44 20 8869 1439
> Fax: +44 20 8423 7711

> http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805
>

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!