Re: X10 and my broken TV

I too would be surprised if X10 has killed your TV, based on the highly
scientific ;-) observation that we have a Sony TV and use X10 lots, and
have never had any problems with the two. That said, our Sony TV does
intermittently behave like yours (and has done since before we had X10)
but never quite enough to cause a problem or justify taking it back.
Kate reckons (but it hasn't been rigorously tested) that the problem is
worse if you switch on from standby (so we tend not to leave it on
standby overnight) and can be prevented if you press a channel button
immediately after it has degaussed itself (but I don't believe this
one).

Ray.

p.s. I wouldn't be too worried about 'Sheds' supplying X10 equipment: I
bought Homebase's remote control kit and had an excellent evening of fun
playing with it: all sorts of lights flashing on and off all over the
house and garden probably drove the neighbours mad. More significantly:
Kate was genuinely impressed by it and I think this is where loss
leaders from Sheds helps Laser and ISCAM. Homebase take the loss, more
people are converted to the wonders of automation, and hopefully Laser
and ISCAM can sort them out when they get more ambitious. Without
Homebase, only people lucky enough to come across the ukha website are
ever likely to get into automation in the UK. I can only see this
increasing the number of people interested in X10, increasing the
volumes and bringing down prices and/or increasing the variety of X10
equipment available. I'm sure that Homebase can get very healthy volume
discounts on 3pin plugs, but they're most certainly not the cheapest.

What is really needed is a leaflet in the Homebase starter kits saying
'for more information, go to www.ukha.demon.co.uk, assuming the website
is still vendor independent...

As an addendum, X10 need to sort themselves out: I emailed the UK sales
enquiry address for X10.com about trying to purchase an MP3 Anywhere and
didn't even get a courtesy 'naff-off' email. Now there's service for
you.

vengance
> on Sony for
> the past problems they have caused :-))
>
> Seriously though, it sounds as if something within the TV is
> screwed up and
> a prolonged disconnection from the mains could cure it. That said, the
> flashing sequence of LEDs souns like a fault code from
> internal diagnostics.
> Maybe something was damaged by recent storms and has only just failed.
>
> Sorry I cant ffer any more help but you can rest assured that
> X10 hasnt done
> this.
>
> Keith
>
> Keith Doxey
> http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
> Krazy Keith's World of DIY HomeAutomation

Simplifying group communications