Re: KAT5 AV Links

From:	Nigel Orr [SMTP:nigel.orr@xxxxxxx]
SCART would seem ideal,
Probably nothing wrong with a few phonos, or even an RJ45 with an
RJ45 - SCART adaptor.  Hey, I like that idea...

So do I. It has already been considered but due to the limited space inside
a SCART plug it would require surface mount components and I havent got
round to surface mount stuff yet.

From:	Andy Powell [SMTP:andy.powell@xxxxxxx]
I guess that I'm going against the grain but I'd like to see phono
connectors and not a scart socket, in a little black box - not wall
mounted - but then again that's my opinion.

Thats exactly what the first version was/is going to be.

From:	Dr John Tankard [SMTP:jtankard@xxxxxxx]
SCART & S-Video (I like to have my cake and eat it :-)
Re Wall box option, this sounds great but remember that unless you are
building your own home (quite a few of us on the list are) and you have
specified full depth boxes (as recommended everware in HA circles) you may
be left with only plaster depth boxes which may be a problem.

There will be S-Video versions but that requires 2 audio and 2 video
circuits LR Y/C so it is not possible to include IR in that design. IR can
still be done but will require a seperate IR receiver in the room
somewhere.

From:	Harrison, Mark (Alliance) [SMTP:Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx]
Black Box (well, ideally quite large Dark Blue Box with White "Doxey
Audio/Video" logo on the front, maybe the size of a Linn separate?)
with
RJ45 in, and audio on twin phono + composite video on phono.
(What about power - is this self-powered, or is there a battery/mains
adaptor?)

Dark blue would be my preferred choice as well :-))
They are powered by a mains adaptor. Having said that the wall plate
version would have to have power fed to it either by a seperate CAT5 or by
using one of the pairs in the CAT5 carrying the AV. In that case it would
not be possible to include IR in that version although the comments above
regarding a seperate IR receiver are applicable.

I think that gives me enough to work on now :-))

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications