Re: HomeVision control of Central Heating

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: HomeVision control of Central Heating
  • From: Raymond <Reb.barnett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:24:55 +0100

I've looked at this a fair bit for automating my central heating system
from Comfort.

My boiler has two contacts, one for hot water and for central heating.
The existing timer controls the boiler using relays to connect either or
both of these contacts to live, as appropriate. The room thermostat in
my case was wired in series with the timer's central heating control.
Thus both the timer and the thermostat have to be on for the central
heating to run.

Thus, assuming your system is similar, you have at least two
alternatives. You can use an X10 controlled AD10 to connect the
appropriate contacts on the boiler to live (either directly or via an
intermediate relay). Or, you can connect Comfort/HV to a couple of
relays to do the same job (the relays are switched by a 12v input, and
switch a 240v output).

The main differences between the two being that relays require a length
of cable between the boiler and HV/Comfort, and LD10s are expensive and
you can't guarantee reliability.

I've wired mine so that I've left the original timer controls intact on
the boiler and wired Comfort in parallel with the timer. The thermostat
now connects directly to Comfort as an input zone. Thus you can manually
switch the heating or hot water on via the old timer controls, or you
can set Comfort to switch it automatically depending on time of day,
house occupancy, and the thermostat input.

Hope this helps, but remember I'm no expert on boilers (except for my
own) so yours may be different in its operation...

Ray.

into the CH
> > controller or go directly to the boiler. Either way I need
> to get over the
> > 12V - 230v differences.
> >
> > I could use a X10 Appliance module and plug the CH
> controller into it
> > (setting the CH and HW permanently on), but this seems a very
> > unsophisticated approach.
> >
> > What have other people done? I would appreciate any ideas.
> >
> > Also how many people in the group use other HA technologies (such
as
> > Comfort), what do you generally think of them and how have
> you integrated
> > them.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Clive Dilley
> >
> > (ps - this is the second time I mailed this, as I think I
> posted it to the
> > wrong e-group, so sorry if you are reading this again!!)

> ----------
> >
> > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> > http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143