Re: Whole House IR.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Whole House IR.
  • From: "Chris King" <chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:15:11 +0100

Yes, the signals are sent from the local Room Control Unit to whichever
room
is currently active, e.g. local or main in the case of my simple setup -
from the Knekt controller board(s) the signal is sent to the kit via
Xantech
mini transmitters.  When the RCU is switched into standby mode the signals
are still transmitted to the location last active.  This room-context
system
means that if you have several CD players or video recorders in different
rooms only the one required actually gets the signal.  In addition, you
only
need the one remote from Linn as the RCU's are programmed with the codes
for
the devices you have in the various rooms; the remote isn't intelligent,
but
the IR receiver/forwarder is.  I'm still having trouble trying to figure
out
how to expand the whole-house IR setup whilst integrating and using the
Knekt facilities - so far I've tried Powermids and the RF remote, but I'm
looking for something a little more integrated and complete.  All the
Xantech kit that's available probably does what's required, it just takes
thought that I've not yet applied to it so far!  Keith - what's the latest
news regarding your prototypes please?

Cheers,
Chris.

> Interestingly, the mini-transmitter system is exactly what I've
> seen Knekt implementations use.
>
> Mark Harrison
> European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
> New Tel No: +44 7010710239