Re: Relays - plea for help!

Thanks for all the replies!

I've ordered the RC network recommended by Keith, and I'll try that
tomorrow evening along with a bulb (to provide a larger load) in series.
If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll run the wiring out of the boiler
and I'll just have to build a little housing for the bits, then do some
more head scratching when the dust from the kitchen has settled.

Ray.

series or in
> successfully switch the
> > > boiler, that
> > >
> > > It does sound like the boiler control isn't pulling enough
> > > current, so the
> > > resistance of the SSR is too high to let the relay fire or
> > > open the valve
> > > directly.  It would be worth measuring how much current the
> > > boiler actually
> > > draws when it fires.  The pump will probably be a couple of
> > > amps, but the
> > > boiler relay (or valve) might be a tiny amount.

> the existing
> 60v, but this
> > >
> > > That might be a 'phantom' reading, just mains induced on the
> > > cables.  It
> > > does sound quite high, usually you get something around 10V.
 Try
> > > connecting a mains light bulb across it and see what the
> > > voltage is now, or
> > > if the bulb lights- I would guess the voltage will drop and
> > > the bulb will
> > > stay off, but I might be missing something.

> > > or pulses
> spotted that.
> > >
> > > It's definitely spec'ed for AC?  If it was 1/2 wave
> > > rectifying the power,
> > > the relay or valve would buzz at 50Hz.  I presume you
> don't have easy
> > > access to an oscilloscope ;-(

load
> > > (low wattage
> > > determine if it's
> > > SSR to switch
> > >
> > > If it was never switching off, I would expect it to work
> fine, but the
> > > boiler wouldn't switch off.  Try connecting a bulb in
> > > parallel with the
> > > boiler and see if that solves the problem, by increasing the
> > > minimum load
> > > seen by the SSR.  What is the part number of the SSR, and
> > > where did you get
> > > it from?  I can skim through all the specs and see if
> > > anything leaps out
> > > (though SSRs _aren't_ my speciality!).  Could it be that the
> > > boiler valve
> > > is too inductive for the SSR to cope with?  That may or
> may not mean
> > > nothing to you, but it might jog Keith D's memory as I'm
sure
> > > he'll have
> > > some ideas too ;-)

> between Comfort and
> > >
> > > Well that should work, if all else fails!
> > >
> > > You could also ask on uk.d-i-y if you have usenet access (or
via
> > > www.deja.com).  Someone there might have more experience of
> > > what you're
> > > attempting!