Re: Comfort

> So, can anyone tell me what I get in the box, if I buy the
> basic CMU unit.

The basic unit gives you an 8 zone input and 8 zone output system.

Extra bits you might want: If you want it to be able to make your home
phones ring (such as when someone presses the doorbell or a reminder is
activated) you need a seperate ringer module. You might also want a
keypad or doorphone, although you can get by quite happily accessing the
system via a telephone. The PC interface needs a seperate board too, but
you don't need this unless you're planning on doing some heavy
customising (which you probably are, otherwise why would you want
Comfort).

> 1. Will the system work OK with the CM12U X10 interface
> (after purchasing
> the X10 interface for the CMU) or will it conflict

Not entirely sure what you're asking. To give Comfort X10 capabilities,
you need a TW7223 (think that's right) which is basically just an X10
powerline interface, and has two connections - one to the live and
neutral mains supply to Comfort, one via an RJ45 connector to the
Comfort motherboard. If you're wondering whether it will co-exist with a
CM12U controller somewhere else in your house, it does - well at least
mine does...

> 2. How many pairs of wire do I need for the PIR connection, Keypad
> connection, alarm bell connection etc (Is there an interface, pin out
> diagram for the box)

The manuals are really comprehensive in all these areas. Basically a PIR
needs 2 pairs (power and signal), an keypad/doorphone I think need 3
pairs (power, signal, microphone & speaker). The bell box depends on
your specific bell box...

> 3. How do you dial into the individual mail boxes - is it a
> "you have 4
> options " type of menu etc.

I haven't tried this - we only use a single mailbox.

> What are peoples comments on the system and ease of install.

The physical installation was a doddle (especially with hindsight), and
I'm not known for my competence with these things. If you play with it
on a bench first then you'll be OK. Programming up Comfort with clever
so you need to be careful that you don't put in silly conditions without
realising it. However, so long as you take it slow and think out the
logic then that's OK too.

> I am teatering on the edge of going for this or just buying a
> stand alone
> alarm (budget at the end of the self build is tight)
>
> Help

Basically comes down to whether you want an alarm, or an automation
system. The biggest advantage I see in our system is that it knows when
we're home, so the heating (soon, honest) and lights come on
automatically and as required. When we go to bed, we don't have to run
around checking all the lights are off first. If you want fancy scene
control from lots of lights, then you can you do it, but you'll need
lots of X10 switches (expensive) and they aren't particularly clever (no
absolute dimming).

Clever alarm features aside, you could custom write you're own software
on a PC to do the same job, but it would be more time consuming, and
less reliable, since you'd have more devices depending on one another
(PC, X10, alarm, modem/answerphone).

I'm out of touch with the prices for Comfort now, but the system's dead
modular. You could start with the basic 8 zone box on it's own, and add
zone expansions, ringer modules, X10 and PC interfaces at a later date,
which helps keep the initial costs down. If you decide Comfort isn't the
way to go for home automation, all you've lost is the price differential
between the basic Comfort system, and whatever alternate alarm system
you might be considering (my argument sort of hinges on this price
differential, and I haven't a clue whether it's large or small ;-) )

Hope this helps, mail me if it doesn't.

Ray.

> Ian
> Ian Wright