Re: Relay

Hi Ray,

I think the part you quoted about "dropping 1.6 volts is a bad
thing" would
be true if you are switching the power for 20kW of night storage heating as
this would be about 134W.

In that instance I would still use an SSR but use it to operate a contactor
(overgrown relay) that switched the main heating circuit.

For controlling pumps, valves and gas/oil/solid fuel boilers the current
consumption is negligable and almost certainly under 5A for everything.

As you said 240 vs 238.4 is nothing. For the last couple of years we have
allegedly been harmonised with Europe on 230V although we still mostly get
240.

We used to be kept fairly tightly within 10% of 240 ( 226-264 )
We now get supplied within 6% of 230 ( 216-244) but this will be
widened to 10% of 230V ( 207-253 ) once older equipment vanishes.
230V @ 6% was chosed as a harmonised standard as it was close to the
designed rating for UK 240V and European 220V equipment. All NEW equipment
has to be designed to tolerate 230V @10%

DISCLAIMER....The above tolerances may not be EXACTLY correct but that is
the idea f what is happening to the mains voltage. For the proper figures
look at official documents. !!

The comments about low voltage burnout do not apply in this case....
It is quite common for compressors in fridges and freezers to burn out due
to low voltage after a power cut when the mains is restored but well below
the normal level. ie 200V or less due to everyone suddenly trying to use
everything that has been out of action for several hours. Everyones
refridgeration equipment comes on instantly as the temperature in them has
risen above the start point and at the same time everybodys immersion
heaters are calling for heat as the water tempoerature had dropped.

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation