Re: Roll-your-own X10 problems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Roll-your-own X10 problems
  • From: "K. C. Li" <lbs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 06:31:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Ant Skelton wrote:

> Firstly, what's the sequence of X10 commands involved in dimming or
> brightening a lamp? Is it "House A, Lamp 2, Dim, Dim, Dim
etc" or does
> the DIM command take some sort of parameter? I'm sure I've seen some
> mention of "brightness level" data, buty now I can't find
it. ;)

The sequence of X-10 commands for dimming are as follow:

[Start][House][Unit] x 2
[6 Zero Crossing pause]
[Start][House][Dim] x n

Start = 3 bits (110b)
House = 4 bits
Unit  = 4 bits
(The above is called a frame in X-10 speak)

6ZC   = 3Hz

Dim   = 4 bits (16 dim levels)
n     = Number of DIM commands without 2nd repeat like other commands

Bright is similar to Dim in structure.

> Secondly, the TW[insert flavour here] claims to be able to receive
> EXTENDED DATA and EXTENDED CODE commands, a prospect which fills me
> with HA joy; however, elsewhere the data sheet indicates that it uses
> a PIC to buffer incoming commands before relaying them to the PC, so
> I'm wondering if this places a limit on the number of bytes of
> extended data that I can receive, or whether it's some sort of
> bit-at-a-time arrangement?

The XM10E (New version of TW523/TW7223) has been completely redesigned
with a new microcontroller and firmware. It is capable of receiving and
passing on ALL X-10 commands, including the new Extended Data and Extended
Code commands. Even the 2nd redundancy copy of most commands (but not Dim
and Bright commands as they are sent without redundancy) are passed on
without omission. All commands are passed on with a one frame, 11 bits,
delay. ie. The XM10E will transmit the command just received right after
the 6 zero crossing period (3 powerline cycle or 3Hz) of the original
command.

Please refer to the technical notes associated with the TW7223/XM10E.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.