Re: IR control systems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: IR control systems
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 22:26:44 GMT

Hmmm...

Interesting prospect, - I hadn't thought of this...

How would one go about this hardware-wise - I already have one of the
Comfort IR cloner devices, (I haven't configured / used it yet), I was
under
the impression that this is a pretty simple device, capable of learning
just
two codes (is that correct?). - Would the idea be to use one of these, or
some other IR emmitter? - and if so what exactly?

I can certainly see that it would be pretty easy to have Comfort respond to
a couple of X10 codes and send IR commands in response, and when I really
think about what I actually want to be able to control remotely, there
really aren't that many commands I need to send, - certainly 32 codes would
likely be enough.. and I already have X10 controllers in most of locations
would want to control from..

I think I'll investigate this a bit further, - has anyone done anything
like
this? - Andrew, care to comment on the possibilities?

Cheers.

Paul G.

>From: c.macd@xxxxxxx
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: IR control systems
>Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 13:21:40 -0800
>
>Paul
>
>I would recommend making use of the Comfort sysytem for your IR
>control, combined with a TM12u and either the HR10 or 8 in 1 remotes.
>Using this would enable you to have 32 codes which the comfort can
>receive and then transmit to a disrete IR LED.
>
>Another option which will possibly give more ir codes is to use the
>comfort and cordless telephone for controlling the IR signal. Most IR
>signals can be recorded by Andrew at Comfort from your remote.
>
>Campbell
>
>"paul gordon" <paul_gordo-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=1286
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the time has come for me to finally sort out a "proper"
Infra-Red
>control
> > system, as nothing I have used previously has been suitable.
> >
> > What I have previously used are a couple of different flavours of
>"blaster"
> > emitters, all based on radio signals between the Xmitter &
Receiver.

> > The first kind was a "radio remote" - Replacement URC
handset, that
>emits
> > both IR for local control, AND radio to a remote emitter at the
far
> > location. The problem with this one was that the range was CRAP!
- My
> > bedroom is immediately above my lounge, & I had this set up
so that
>there
> > was only a normal wooden floor, and about 7 feet distance between
the
> > transmitter & receiver, and I STILL had to hang over the side
of the
>bed and
> > put the transmitter on the floor for the signal to get through...
>When I
> > rearranged the bedroom layout & moved the bed to the other
end....
>(forget
> > it....)
> >
> > The second kind was a powermid-type whereby I had a seperate
>transmitter and
> > receiver pair. This was much better in terms of the radio range,
in
>fact
> > this one worked fine, EXCEPT for one slight problem: the receiver
>would pick
> > up extraneous radio signals from somewhere, and as a result would
>transmit
> > IR "noise" at my equipment, none of which was bothered
by this, apart
>from
> > my Pace MSS500 satellite receiver, which would go absolutely
loopy,
>and
> > would have to be power-cycled in order to get it back to life....
(So
> > scratch attempt #2)
> >
> > I know that the sensitivity of these radio based products is
>adjustable, but
> > I could not get the right balance of range in relation to
>susceptibility to
> > stray radio noise.
> >
> > I've come to the conclusion that anything based on radio is just
too
> > problematic, so I want to put in a wired system. I don't need
>anything fancy
> > - all the equipment to be controlled is in one location in the
>lounge, I
> > merely want to be able to control this equipment from multiple
>locations
> > (kitchen & a couple of bedrooms). So I need just one output
zone, and
> > anything up to 4 input zones. I don't mind having a
"blaster" type
>emitter
> > with sight of all the equipment, as I've had no problems with
that
> > arrangement per se, and I think it's probably simpler than going
into
> > mini-emitters stuck to each piece of kit.
> >
> > What could anyone recommend that would fit the above
requirements,
>and is
> > available in the UK, with UK support, and is not grossly
expensive? I
>don't
> > particularly want a product which does IR "on the back"
of something
>else
> > (IE, I've seen video senders that do IR as well, but I neither
need
>nor want
> > a video sender, and I don't want to pay for a video sender!) -
But, I
> > _could_ make use of something like Keith Doxeys KAT5 senders
which do
>stereo
> > audio & composite video as well as IR. (DVD has no UHF
output!) I

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1