Comfort install - completed!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comfort install - completed!
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:30:07 GMT

Success! - I've now successfully completed the installation &
comissioning
of my Comfort system, with the help of Raj from Optix systems, and Andrew
from Comfort home controls (for the loan of a Comfort PCB and Kompad) -
Thanks to both of you guys!

Now, I just have to figure out what on earth I want to do with it!! -
there's just one problem in having a system that is limited only by one's
imagination - that is that my imagination far exceeds my ability to program
the system!!

Seriously though, I really have not got to grips with programming it yet -
although I've had it for about 2 months already, I've been far too busy at
work to even get as far as reading the various manuals, and although I've
done quite a bit of programming over the years, the programming model used
by Comfort is slightly alien to me, and takes some getting used to. (but
I'm
sure I'll master it, given time)

Just to get me started though, (and because I'm too impatient to wait until
I learn it the "proper" way), can anyone give me any pointers on
how to
achieve the following:

1) How do I modify an X10 response? - I started using CS-Express to modify
one of the pre-defined ones (it was 47 - which sends X10 code L1 on) - I
wanted to modify it to send a P2 on instead. I went into a dialogue (under
Home Automation Settings, Responses, and was able to see this response:
195,76,1,5 and I can see that 76,1 = L1, and I assume that the last ,5 =
the
ON ?? is this correct? - So my modified response should be: 195,80,2,5
(and the corresponding L2 off would be: 195,80,2,7?? - again from looking
at
response 48 seems to suggest that the final ,7 is the OFF command?)

2) As well as having the doorstation out in the porch, my wife also wanted
to have a "normal" doorbell pushbutton. So I have a standard bell
press
connected back to one of the input zones. Currently when pressed, all that
happens is the Kompad announces "door bell". My wife wants
doorbell
functionality to be just the same as a "normal" doorbell - IE
when pressed,
it goes "DING DONG" and does NOT ring the internal phones - the
point about
the phones being that the panel cannot make the internal phones ring with a
different tone/pattern to an incoming call (DECT phones, electronic
ringers), and so we cannot determine if a ringing phone is an incoming
call,
or a person at the front door. Meanwhile though, if a visitor does happen
use the button on the doorstation, we do get internal phones ringing, and
sirens on the kompad. So my question (finally) is this: To satisfy my
wife's
stipulations, how can I disable the doorstation button entirely, and make
the bell press button go DING DONG on the internal Kompad? - I'd also like
to be able to have it send an X10 command as well, and although the
doorstation button will be disabled, I'd still want the ability to pick up
phone and talk to the caller if I wanted to...

3) Lastly (for now), I have a PIR out in the porch (outside the final exit
zone), which is currently set to Null, for fear that If I set it the same
as
my other PIR's then when the system is armed, someone coming up to my front
door would trigger an alarm! (obviously not what I want!) - This outside
PIR
is purely for detecting visitors approaching the front door, I intend to
use
it for starting the VCR recording (using the IR Cloner), and turning on the
porch lights (which are on the abovementioned P2 address), How do I set
this
PIR up so that regardless of the arm state of the system, when triggered
it:
a) activates the IR cloner (on O/P zone 7) to start the VCR for 30 seconds,
b) sends a P2 on, waits 30 seconds, then sends P2 off,
c) increments a counter by 1, to count the number of visitors.

I shall add a light sensor at some point in the future to make the lighting
response dependent on ambient light level, but for now I'm happy just to
get
the basics working....

As ever, thanks in advance for any tips...

Cheers all

Paul G.

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1