Re: Whole-house audio

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Whole-house audio
  • From: Jerry Treweek <J.treweek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 16:39:54 +0000

Hi,

I'm working on a similar idea. I would like to distribute hifi - (yes hifi)
from a central system, the intention being to have computer control over
the
routing at some future point.

I had no luck either in finding a commercial system, so I've had to accept
that
it's time to get the soldering iron out. Basically I'm designing a routing
preamp that uses Analog Devices differential line drivers to distribute
across
shielded twisted pairs, this is pretty good with distortion figures .0006
or
so. Current design is using relays (no signal interferance) but the quality
of
digital switches is getting better so things might yet go this route. Seems
as
though you've got to feed the signal through them just right...

Lately things have been at a standstill (family things - remember those
strange
people who share the house...) so I've been turned into a carpenter making
stair gates - anyway I digress...

The idea of a multi-input multi-zone amp sounds rather like 100volt speaker
drivers - I really don't think you're going to get hifi quality through
that.
You really do need an amp (preferally with a differential/balanced input) -
eg
Samson 'servo' series of studio amps (excellent value)
http://www.samsontech.com/audio/index.html
at each listening zone/room.
Alternatively decode the differential signal with the complementary line
receiver chip - or even a simple opamp and use a normal amp.

I think that using a network link and mp3'ing to each room is a very
expensive
way to go - especially given the cost of decent D-A converters. Given that
mp3
files on the computer could be routed in just the same way it seems to make
sense. All you need in each room is a decent amp and speakers.

If anyone has addition ideas on this subject, let's hear em.

Jerry

Clive Dilley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently been installing ceiling speakers around my house and
have
> connected them to my old hi-fi units (amp). Whilst they work OK, it
means
> that every room has the same music - which is a bit limiting. I am
> interested in purchasing a multi-input, multi-zone audio amp that has
the
> following requirements:
>
> Minimum of 4 separate input sources (cd, cassette, radio, dvd/video
etc.)
> Minimum of 6 "zoned" outputs
> Each output can be separately controlled (i.e. music source and
volume)
> Each output can be controlled via Infrared
> Microphone input
> The ability to use the mic input for intercom on selected or all zones
> The ability for the intercom to automatically override (volume wise)
the
> audio source if required
> Around 20w - 30w per zone
>
> I have been looking at three different amps, which are available in
the US
> and would more-or-less do what I want:
>
> NAD 911 ($400) - this is only a pre-amp
> Kustom 6 ($1000)
> Russound CA64 ($1800)
>
> I wondered if anyone else has done this (or has done any
investigation) and
> if so, what equipment was used.
>
> Clive

> Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
> Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
> Learn2 Negotiate a Raise.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965
>
> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

-- Check out your eGroup's private Chat room
-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1