Re: Structured approach to cabling

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Structured approach to cabling
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 09:31:59 +0100

Julian,

Two recommendations:

- Put in _several_ runs of satellite-grade aerial cable. You can run a
decent FM aerial, and a conventional TV aerial on satellite-grade, but
not the other way round.

More importantly, I would strongly recommend that you put in quite a bit
of CAT-5 UTP. Why do I say this?

At the moment, you could carry the following over it:

- a local area network
- audio (using either the pricey Linn stuff, or Keith Doxey's DIY stuff)
- video (similarly, using Keith's stuff)
- phone (different extensions in different rooms will come)

You might not want to do any of this _yet_, but as you say, when you've
got the floors up, you've got the floors up ;-)

I don't know what the next "big thing" to hit will be, but I'm
certain
that there'll be a good way to do it over CAT-5.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
Tel: +44 181 869 1439