Re: USENET group???

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: USENET group???
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:05:37 +0100

Good luck Mark

For your info here is the 2nd draft of my RFD before I decided to pull
out...

"2nd draft RFD

Proposal for unmoderated group - uk.tech.home.automation

Rationale
Home Automation (the ability to control various subsystems -
lighting, heating,  security etc - around the home from automated
controllers such as a PC etc) is becoming more popular in the
UK. I have run the UK Home Automation website since 1996
(http://www/ukha.demon.co.uk).
The creation of this new group
would serve the needs of this growing band of people and would
also cater for other Europeans interested in 220V 50Hz mains
system (unlike the 110V 60Hz American one).  There is currently
no USENET UK group which provides information interchange for UK specific
Home Automation.

The only existing group which approximates the proposed group
is comp.home.automation. This group is, however, very heavily
American in both  content and focus of interest. The UK needs a
similar group specifically for UK  Home Automators. Due to its
very nature,  American topics may not be relevant to a UK citizen
because of the difference in mains systems, equipment for the US
is  mostly un-usable in the UK.

Thus, it can be shown that a large proportion of discussion on
comp.home.automation is currently wasted bandwidth for the
majority of UK Home Automators.

One Line Summary: uk.tech.home.automation   Technical aspects of home
automation in the UK

Charter:This newsgroup exists to
promote discussion and exchange of information  and ideas about
all aspects of the Home Automation in the United Kingdom.

The group shall not limit its' discussion solely to UK citizens nor
shall it concentrate  solely on UK Home Automation. Provided any
subjects raised for discussion have at  least some bearing to UK
Home Automation use or are of interest to users of UK  Home
Automation systems, they will be deemed 'on-topic'. This allows
for the  inclusion of European 220V users and discussion of worldwide
concerns by readers  of the group.

Advertising is only acceptable when it is short, when it is relevant
to the primary topic of the newsgroup (ie Home Automation in the UK),
& when what is advertised is reasonably available to the UK readership
of the group

Binaries shall not be permitted other than PGP signatures, as per the UK.*
guidelines.

Initial Time for Discussion: 10 days