X10 dimming

I've now got my Comfort alarm/automation system running quite nicely,
barring a couple of incidents where it dialled out unexpectedly to my
wifes mobile (at midnight I might add).

However, now I'm starting to play with X10, I'm afraid I have to join
the list of people who don't rate X10 light control, with respect to
dimming. My problems are two fold: I can't set absolute dim levels,
which means I have to rememer what the dim setting is currently at;
dimming the light from the off state needs it be brought on at full
brightness first.

My question is, what is the effect on (a) ordinary tungsten lamps, (b)
mains voltage halogens, (c) the dimmer itself, if I run the dimmer
continously at minimum brightness. When I do this no light is produced,
which means if I want to switch the light on I can dim up (rather than
dimming down). I'm concerned because I don't properly know how the
dimmer works, and I do know that the cold resistance of lights is very
low, and hence am I pumping loads of current through the bulb when I
think it is off? If current is flowing, is it likely to reduce the life
of the bulb and will it kill the dimmer?

If it does work then it will be superb since not only do get the ability
to dim up from the off state, but you can implement soft start
lighting...

Ray Barnett.

What's everyone looking at? Check out the Top40 most requested stocks!
Plus quotes, charts, news, portfolios, mutual funds, and discussion.
All free, fast, and easy.   Visit:    http://www.stockmaster.com/?a=f5

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d