Re: x10 over three phase

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: x10 over three phase
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:51:26 -0000

> assuming you survive.

Very unlikely, I'm afraid.

As I understand things, the reason people tend to surive normal 230v AC
shocks is that every 100th of a second, the PD between the bit of their
body connected to the mains drops to zero volts relative to the bit
touching the earth. At these points (or close to them) it's _relatively_
easy to shake free of the "spark radius" and stop the current
flowing
through you.

The problem with touching two different phases of three phase is
two-fold.

Firstly, there is an AC voltage peaking at about 400v between the
phases.

Secondly, it's likely that part of you will also be grounded at the time
- this means that part of your body will always have a voltage of at
least 100ish volts - as one phase gets to zero, the next has take off.

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager, BP/Bovis Alliance
Tel: +44 181 869 1439
Fax: +44 181 423 7711