Re: x10 over three phase

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: x10 over three phase
  • From: chris@xxxxxxx (Chris Davenport)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:33:47 (GMT)

As I understand things (and I'm certainly no expert), no domestic
property is ever likely to be using any equipment that would require
a 3-phase supply.  I think what the EB means is that your area/street
requires upgrading to a 3-phase supply on a beefier cable.  Your own
property will continue to have a 1-phase supply.  On a typical street
each property will tap into a single phase of the 3-phase supply so
that every third house is on the same phase.

Even on our commercial premisses only a small amount of equipment
requires 3-phase (mainly very heavy-duty motors on lathes, etc).
The building has many separate 1-phase ring-mains exactly like you
would get in a domestic property.  The load is shared among the phases
except that one phase is reserved for our computer equipment.  Spikes
and other grimy-slimies introduced by the various 1-phase machine
tools and equipment is then less likely to crash our computers.

Hope that helps.

Chris.