Re: Security systems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Security systems
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:20:57 GMT

Thanks Alex,

It also appears that this is exactly the same as the DS7000 system on
Hometech's WWW site.

About the not sending any X10 code when disarmed, does this mean that
you can't track the security systems' status from a HA controller (eg
Homevision) or a PC?.. If so, this would be a bit of a show-stopper for
me.. I want to base an intelligent call-handling system based on CLI,
time of day, and occupancy status, and the occupancy status would
certainly need to take account of the security system setting, so I
really want to be able to reliably determine if it's armed or not.

Thanks for the input.

Paul.

>From ukha_d-return-262-paul_gordon=hotmail.com@xxxxxxx Fri
Feb 26 03:59:36 1999
>Sender: Alex.Goodyear@xxxxxxx (Alex Goodyear)
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:51:57 +0000
>From: Alex Goodyear <agood@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Security systems
>
>Hi,
>
>I have the Hometech HTS1000 X10 alarm system which (as far as I can
>determine) has exaclty the same physical appearance and sales
>description as the Laser SK8000 system. It is a doddle to install and
>I'm still using the batteries supplied 10 months on. I have one of the
>door/window units in the garage inside a plastic bag. I seemed to be
>having radio range problems with this unit so I wrapped some 3 core
>copper 13amp wire around the unit and everything has worked perfectly.
>Am I just imagining things or does the copper wire act as an aerial
>amplifier ?
>
>I am very pleased with the system but do have some suggestions about
>possible enhancements.
>
>The HTS1000 sends an X10 on and off when it is armed, nothing when it
is
>disarmed. The X10 on/off it sends are the same as the keyfob light X10
>on/off buttons, this is limiting when you want to activate differing
>activity for arm, disarm and keyfob light commands. I have overcome
this
>by monitoring the LEDS on the control panel via my PC. The PC can also
>determine which zone has been triggered using this method.
>
>Mounting the control unit and door/window transceivers ...
>
>The control unit does not have any holes for wall mounting, it is
>designed to sit on a flat surface (ie table).
>
>The door/window units have a hole in the battery door, you are meant to
>screw the door to the wall then slide the unit onto the door. I had
VERY
>great difficulty fitting the door to the unit when it had a battery in
>it. I was sure that the amount of force I used would just rip the door
>off the wall. I bought some small metal "T" brackets from
B&Q and stuck