Re: Punchdown blocks

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Punchdown blocks
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:56:40 +0100

Hi Nigel,

Whatever :-))
The point I was making was that one cable in 5 will be split over two
strips
meaning the pairs will be seperated for quite a distance. Certainly not
within the CAT5 spec.

> >NEVER use different sizes of wire in the same IDC as the larger
> wire will
> >force the contacts apart and the smaller wire will have a bad
connection.

> I can see that the 2 wires do have to be the same diameter, but can
one be
> solid 24AWG and one 7/0.2 (also 24AWG)?  I would expect that I won't
come
> across a situation where that is necessary, but it'd be good to know.

I have come across similar situations where people had wired DIY phone
extensions using 4 core stranded alarm cable in the same IDC as proper
telecomms cable. If terminated with a punchdown tool you can usually get
away with it but the majority of DIY attempts were made by shoving the wire
in with a screwdriver which totally knackers the IDC by forcing the blades
apart. This can also happen if the insulation is too hard on the stranded
cable.

> >Keep the cable sheaths to the left or right of the metal cage that
the
> >strips attach to as there is a wiring loop in the centre of the
> krone strip
> >that almost touches the chassis.
>
> That bit makes no sense to me at all, but I suspect all will become
clear
> when I see the bits in front of me ;-)

Bad ASCII drawing

-----------------------------
Cage          XXXXXX
X    X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Krone XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Strip XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The wires pass through the loop and feed outwards to the connections on the
Krone Strip. There is ample space at the left or right for the cables to
run
up inside the frame as long as you avoid the centre where the wiring loop
would foul the cables.

> >Also when you play with the wiring tool to see how the cutter
operates,
> >have a box of plasters ready coz it bleeds a lot when you nip
> your fingers
> >in the blades :-((
>
> That's OK, I've already performed that essential step doing some
network
> wiring for someone who had the tool already ;-(

You Sir, are a real engineer.
Hurts almost as much as being up a metal ladder in the pouring rain, soaked
through to the skin and you grab hold of a line just as someone rings it
!!!!

> Thanks for all the help so far- much appreciated.  Just out of
interest,
> can you or Mark tell me how you are connecting up all the cat-5 in
Mark's
> installation?  ISTR you were talking about 6-8 outlets per room-
loadsa
> pairs!  Is Keith preparing for another trip to N.I. when the house is
> complete with his punchdown tool for a weekend of wirebashing?
Enquiring
> minds an' all that!
>
> Nigel

The secret is to take time and identify and untangle the cables from the
matted heap hanging from the ceiling, then carefully arrange and
temporarily
anchor the cables whilst terminating before final tywrapping takes place.

Another trip sounds like an excellent idea, I want to see that projector
and
the house with floors instead of empty space with the odd joist to balance
on :-))

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY HomeAutomation

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications