Re: TV and sound over CAT5

Hi Ray,

The signal you sent was from a reasonably low impedance source which is
less prone to interference than a higher impedance source, but the signal
you sent was still unbalanced.

The hum you heard was a mixture of induced mains hum and earth loop hum.
The difference between the two hifi's could be down to an earthed piece of
equipment such as Satellite reciever downstairs or simply due to the
difference in earth potentials between the mains sockets. The upstairs of
the house is almost certainly on a different ring main and even if it is
the same ring the sockets are physically closer together so will have less
difference in the earth potential.

You will definately notice an improvement by moving to balanced signals
either with a box of active electronics or with transformers although you
should be aware that the transformers themselves could pick up hum if not
properly sheilded and can also affect the frequency response of the signal.

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation