Re: TV and sound over CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TV and sound over CAT5
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:20:05 +0100

At 03:26 26/07/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone have suggestions for running UK TV signal over CAT5 wiring?
> What are the limitations and what ancillary equipment is needed.

I assume you mean baseband composite video, and not UHF.  Less technically,
you will be able to run one 'channel', not a complete aerial connection.
I've been playing with a little CCD camera, running about 30m on cat-5,
with the 12V power running 30m the other way, and it seems to work very
well.  If you are using a colour camera, or longer cables, you'd be better
to run it on 2 pairs as S-video, or on 3 pairs as RGB- cue Keith D...

>Similarly does anyone have information about running speaker level
>sound over cat5 wiring?

Copper area is about 0.2mm^2 per wire.  1/0.6 wire is 0.28mm^2, rated at
1.8A.  To get 30W in an 8 ohm load, you need about 2A.  Basically, it's a
terrible idea, _unless_ you have vast quantities of cat-5 in already, you
can safely run it as a 100V line, it is _impossible_ to run some T&E or
similar mains cable instead etc etc etc.  There will probably be a sizable
voltage drop due to the wire impedance over any sort of distance- it might
not make much difference in level, but it might make the wire warm, and it
might make the frequency response 'odd'.

You could use several pairs of the cat-5 instead (the induced noise in the
other pairs will make them unusable for anything else anyway), eg 1 cat-5
cable for each speaker, but it's all a horrible bodge which I couldn't put
up with in my own home... run some mains cable specifically for speakers if
you possibly can instead.

Nigel

Don't know which one to buy? Productopia does.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/554

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications