Re: plea from poor X10 user

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: plea from poor X10 user
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:18:08 +0100

At 02:30 26/07/99 EDT, you wrote:
>TVs at =A34995 - all this tech talk about MP3 - houses which look like=
rivals=20
>to Buck palace!=20

It's not just you- I've got a degree of expertise, and interest, but money
is a big issue too!  The other consideration which I have, which no-one
else seems worried about, is that the whole thing should be removable, with
probably just cabling left behind, if I should move or problems occur with
the system- that means that I'm not prepared to go with a system that
requires non-standard modifications to the house fittings- for example
cat-5 to lightswitches, instead of T&E.=20

I will be buying Comfort soon (I will, Andrew, honestly I will!!!), which
seems like the perfect way to get things started, and wiring some more
cat-5.  Basically, the plan is for each room to have at least 1 cat-5 for
analogue signals, 1 for misc noisy stuff (IR/digital control etc), 1 for
security, and 1 _if required_ for Ethernet/whatever.  So most rooms will
have about 4 cat-5 cables, and some will have speaker cables from a central
point too.  I don't see the need for 8 outlets in a room (I have no wish to
see a computer in my bedroom or dining room, for example, I don't have any
difficulties fishing cables around, and I don't see 'future-proofing' as a
realistic approach to someone who is getting started on a budget- cable
capacities still seem to go up by about x10 bandwidth in 5 years, fibre may
or may not be necessary in 10-20 years time etc etc. =20

I also don't like X10, which changes things a little...

>please, this is not a flame (though there's some jealousy creeping in
a=20
>little bit <GRIN>)

Ditto 8-)  - I'm certainly happy to help out others on a budget! =20

Nigel

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers. =

http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications