From: Raymond
Sent: 22 July 1999 09:41
To: 'andy@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: MP3 Whole House Audio

Hi Andy,

I'm a VB6 developer so I would definitely be interested in seeing your
code. Not from a commercial position, but personally: I found out how
much HAL2000 costs (3-400 dollars) which seems a little extreme - so I
fancy custom writing the functionality I want.

I'm considering an ongoing project starting properly sometime in the
autumn to have the dual aim of evaluating using Microsoft Agent to
provide voice input from a radio mike to allow X10 events to be
initiated; and secondly to operate some sort of MP3 jukebox via voice
and intranet interface. It would be nice to develop HAL like features
such as being able to ask what the weather is, but I imagine a query
processor is outside my expertise and reasonably involved, so I'll
concentrate on MP3 and voice control first.

The main hurdle I see with MP3 is supplying the signal to amps/hifi -
I'd like to get away with just plugging the output from a soundcard into
a hifi input, but I recall discussions about balanced signals and all
sorts of complexities. Control via a web interface is a further hurdle,
from the financial point of view, since I really like the idea of a
couple of flat panel touch screens, but their price isn't falling fast
enough... I can justify the initial effort just from being able to play
MP3s over the lounge and upstairs hifis.

Thanks,

Ray.

Simplifying group communications

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553