Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: CAT 5 for new-build --- how many per room?
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:45:14 +0100

I have not put as many as Mark in - and I regret it already !

A bit of background :-

I have no mains to any light switch, all of it is cat5 (4pair) in the large
rooms I have put two into each wall switch.

For other uses I have 4 to my HiFi & TV in the lounge and 4 CT125's.
The
maser bedroom has 2 to each side of the bed (+ 1 to each side for lights)
and 3 CT125's and a speaker extension (Main HiFi is just below). Office has
4 and 2 CT125's. Other bedrooms will have 2 and 2 CT125's. The Kitchen will
have 3 and 2 CT125's, the Dining room will have 2 and No CT125's (you have
to escape to somewhere)

My project is a renovation and putting trucking in has been difficult but I
wish I had put much more in. I have 3 main nodes, Attic, Switch room, and a
cupboard in the kitchen, I have run trucking between them all, the Switch
room to kitchen is 2 inch vacuum hose, the switch room to attic is a
6" x 6"
pillar, the kitchen to attic will be the same. Unfortunately the switch to
attic pillar is completely full ! I made the mistake of dividing the pillar
into two sections and put metal   trucking (4"x4") in it for
mains, and the
coax / cat5 to go with some pipes in the rest of the void (the metal trunk
to act as a screen). What I should have done is run the mains in another
place as it has taken up two much space.

Because of the way I want to control the lighting I have home run all the
lighting power cable (including wall outlets) to my main nodes where the
controller's will sit (when I finish it, at the moment the lights are
controlled by  solid state relays). I also have a 4 channel RF node in the
loft which feeds down to the switch room in CAT5 this means only a short
length of coax out onto the rood where the 3dB gain antenna sits, I wanted
the RF receiver to be in the switch room but the cable loss would have been
too much with coax and I am after the maximum range I can get on 418MHz (in
one spot I get 600m range although it is typically about 150m to 200m.)

As I progressed on with my build I realised that it would be nice to be
able
to get at the data cable after plastering if a change was needed so
upstairs
the cable runs in conduit.

One thing I have forgotten is to run is a daisy chain of cat5 though each
room for Dallas digital temperature sensors, but this would probely only
apply if you plan to use HomeVision.

I have also used CAT5 to each room for security purposes (but thats not for
a open forum)

John
jtankard@xxxxxxx

Simplifying group communications