Re: UK light switches

On Wednesday, January 13, 1999 10:18 PM, Eddie McDowell
[SMTP:eddie@xxxxxxx] wrote:

> Hi,
>   I've just received my Wall switch\dimmers and have installed a
couple which
> work perfectly so I'm just looking for a little reassurance here -
they are
> supposed to make that clearly audible buzzing noise when dimming,
right?

Hi Eddie,

In a perfect world they should be totally silent.....
but this is not a perfect world and in reality nearly ALL dimmers
whether X10 or normal rotary dimmers will buzz to a greater or lesser
extent. The noise will be greatest at around 50% brightness.

It is caused by the windings of the RFI choke "rattling" due to
the sudden
surge of current as the triac switches on 100 times every second.
More expensive commercial dimmers tend not to suffer from this problem
as the chokes are of much higher quality with the windings more tightly
wound and then dipped in varnish to stop any movement.

Some light bulbs can also emit a buzzing noise as the filaments rattle.

In short....DONT WORRY ABOUT IT  :-)))

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation

For the absolute lowest price on Video/PC Games visit:
http://ads.egroups.com/click/58/1/bottomdollar

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ukha_d