Re: How much?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: How much?
  • From: chris@xxxxxxx (Chris Davenport)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:55:13 +0000 (GMT)

Brendan,

In my experience with non-PC equipment, blown power supplies used to
be a problem when we switched equipment off when not in use.  Since
we shifted to 24/7 operation we haven't blown a single PSU.  Switched
mode PSU's seemed to be particularly susceptible to this kind of
failure.

On the subject of electricity costs we recently removed an old storage
heater from our computer room at work as the waste heat from all the
computers meant it hadn't been used for years.  Of course the electricity
used to run the computers at night is more expensive than the Economy 7
used to run the old heater AND we have to run air-conditioning in the
summer months too.  So 24/7 can get expensive.  Now I wonder if we
could run the computers on Economy 7 at night...?

Chris.