Developers, some more info on Microchip's CAN controller

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Developers, some more info on Microchip's CAN controller
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:39:22 +0100

Previously I posted some info on Microchip from a electronics journal, here
is some more info.

I have stumbled across this press release from microchip about the CAN
developers kit

http://www.microchip.com/10/edit/pRelease/PR121/index.htm

I have also found that a planed new range of PIC's called the PIC18C248,
PIC18C458 and PIC18C658, will have the CAN controller built in ! The rest
of
the spec for these devices is very impressive taking the last part which is
the top of the range :-

16384x16 program word ROM 1536 bytes of RAM 12x12bit ADC, 2 compararators,
Programmable brown out detection, 52 IO ports, I2c,SPI,CAN 2.0B at
1Mbit/sec
2x10bit PWM,3x16 timer/counter 1x8bit, time/counter,WDT,Precision Vref,2Mb
external address space, 3 CAN transmit buffers,2 CAN receive buffers, 6 CAN
acceptance filters, 2CAN filter masks and all this on a 64 pin package !
The
other two devices are cut down versions less memory less io and no I2C or
external address space but they are on smaller 28 pin and 40 pin devices.

I know that CAN (controller Area Network) has not hit it off in home
Automation, but this might make it, Microchip products tend to cost
effective, and since CAN is the standard for the motor industry where they
are very price sensitive I can see the spin off.

CAN has lots to offer in home automation, in particular it allows for a
multi master, (a bit like peer to peer) which means you dont need one
controller running everything, nodes can be removed of added to the network
and the network will still function.

I shall be looking at changing my systems design from RS485 with SNAP to
CAN
after I get a look at the developers kit.

John
jtankard@xxxxxxx

@Backup - The #1 Online Backup Service.  Protect your files before
you lose them. Easy, Reliable, Secure online backups. INSTALL
today.  http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/938

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications