Re: Digital TV

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Digital TV
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:27:13 +0100

At 11:53 23/08/99 +0100, you wrote:
>The quality of the encoder is not an issue as the encoder is only doing
what
>the MPEG standard is asking.

Not quite, at least not AIUI... the MPEG standard defines the _decoder_
standard, and the quality of the encoder will affect how the standard
decoder reproduces the picture.  A bad encoder could produce the same
bandwidth of encoded video, but 'concentrate' on the 'wrong' things, so the
perceived picture quality is poorer- more blocky, jumpier, whatever.

>and only the bandwidth (OK, also the screen you are watching it on and
the
>human eye).

With the latter being a _big_ also- if perceptual video coding develops at
the rate that perceptual audio encoding has, there could be _huge_
improvements in perceived picture quality at a given bit rate.

>If a signal, picture is compressed then it has to be inferior

Absolutely not, by definition, if the compression is lossless, and only
true of lossy compression if the perceived quality is affected.  The amount
of information (the subjective content) is reduced, but 'inferior' is a
perceived measure, not an objective one.

Probably all too detailed for ukha, I guess- I'll shurrup now ;-)

Nigel

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications