Re: Digital TV

> BTW, my friend claims there is no inherent reason for MPEG2
> to be lower
> quality than analogue, and plenty reasons why it can be better. It
> apparently depends on how expensive an encoder you use, and what
> bandwith you allocate to the stream. Hence a SKY broadcast is
> laden with
> artefacts, but a decent DVD is pretty good (and certainly better than
> S-VHS).

The question was for a IRD that plugged directly into PC or other MPEG
recording device.  Which I assumed to be receiving off air, either Sat or
Terrestrial.  This being the case then the bandwidth per channel is on
average 4Mb/s which includes text, audio, programme related data etc.  This
does not proved a good quality picture.  An analogue channel is at least in
frequency terms about 27MHz (compared to a single 4Mb/s channel of about
3Mhz) so inherently better quality, specially as it is hardly compressed.

Of course if bandwidth was unlimited and you encoded it at 150Mb/s then the
quality is much better than analogue hence HDTV.

The BBC receiver sound interesting but as you said it may never happen, or
if it does it will be old technology by the time the BBC have tested it to
death.  Look out for the PC cards that receive DVB for pictures or IP.

Ian

Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications