Re: TV and sound over CAT5

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TV and sound over CAT5
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 09:26:42 +0100

At 17:44 03/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Isn't there some way of applying a simple converter and
>turning it into something that can be run.

It's called a tuner- you could use one in an old video, and then send the
composite video output down the cable.  The aerial signal has all the
channels, but composite video is only one, so you then need some way of
controlling the tuner so you can choose what to watch.

>On the sound front I read
>elsewhere that it should be possible to use a balanced signal.  DO you
>know of any boxes that can take the output from the amp and sned it
>down and then convert it back at the other end.

As I've suggested to someone, first try it without any fancy stuff and see
if it works- video down one pair, sound down another (or two for stereo).
If the cables are all short, and the mains happens to be helpful, the
picture and sound quality might be acceptable to you- otherwise, wait for
Keith's magic line driver boxes to enter production... it is _very_ _very_
unlikely that you will damage anything by trying it out- assuming you
manage to get everything connected to the right place... ;-)

Nigel
--
Nigel Orr                  Research Associate   O   ______
Underwater Acoustics Group,              o / o    \_/(

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications