Ventilation/cooling of PCs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Ventilation/cooling of PCs
  • From: patrick@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 02:07:49 -0700

Over the weekend, one of the hard-drives (a Quantum fireball FWIW) on
my Linux server - which controls most of my home automation kit -
packed up. The same thing happened about this time last year, and I
think it may be due to higher than usual ambient temperature in the
wiring closet where the server is installed. Following last year's
problem, I improved the ventilation in the server PC (bigger box,
better airflow) and added a grill to the front of broom cupboard.
Whilst the cupboard was still warm, I thought that it was sufficient -
I was obviously wrong! I'm now wondering what I should do next. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Moving the PC isn't really an option - it
would be a major undertaking to rewire. I've thought about adding an
extractor fan of some sort, but I'm not convinced it would make a huge
difference. Is it possible to buy 'uprated' hard-drives suitable for
this sort of continuous use - I haven't been able to find any myself?

Patrick
P.S. And if you have a similar set up, remember to backup regularly.
I'm wishing I had!

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications