Re: PCs and X10

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: PCs and X10
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:36:51 +0100

Hi Tim,

Next step is to try and get some physical seperation between the sockets
that the devices are plug into. As Nigel mentioned in a previous post, to
comply with CE limits on interference, manufacturers are just bolting bits
on that kill inteference dead instead of designing product to cause minimal
interference in the first place. As far as CE regulations go the end result
is the same, a compliant product, but for home automators wishing to use
X10
its a disaster because the X10 signal is a deliberately introduced
interference signal which also gets killed.

Some years ago I had to deal with a phone system that kept resetting
itself.
I traced the cause to an old electric typewriter (the sort with a motor to
operate the mechanical bits) that caused the phone system to reset
everytime
it was switched off. This was a real problem for the switchboard operator
as
the typewriter was so noisy she turned it off to answer the calls which
promply cut them off!! The typewriter was plugged into a double adaptor
with
the phone system. Moving the typewriter to a different socket on the same
ring main about 2 metres away cured the problem.

I also had another phone system that reset itself at about 06:30 on weekday
mornings. That was the cleaner using a "Henry" type vacuum
cleaner in an
adjacent room plugged into a socket that backed onto the one powering the
phone system. Again changing to a different outlet on the same ring main
cured the problem.

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY HomeAutomation

X10
> signals are definatley attenuated when it is plugged in. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> Tim.

> NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online
today!
> http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606
>

> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d
> http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,