Re: plea for help with

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: plea for help with
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:15:45 GMT

If that's the unit I think it is: - looks for all the world like
a "traditional" A/V amplifier, but is also a wizzo PC, then yes,
remember seeing it in T3 over a year ago, and almost wetting my pants
(only kidding) with desire!!! - I've been waiting all this time for
that product to be released in a pukka UK guise, so I wouldn't have
to faff around with transformers, and aggro with dealer/manufacturer
support, and then I'd (probably) buy one like a shot...
The "probably" being the price.... I seem to recall this box
costing
about $5000 USD (aka £5000 GBP) - I reckon I can put my home-brew
equivalent together for a LOT less than that....

But I'm fed up of waiting, with no guarantee that it will EVER be
released here. (Has anyone on this list imported a US one??), Hence
my wanting to put my own one together...

Paul.

>From: "Timothy Morris" <timmorris@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: plea for help with "convergence"
product
>Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:36:49 +0100
>
>Sounds like an impressive product. I assume that you have seen the
DVX8000
>that Philips sell in the US, which does about 80% of what you want?
>
>Tim.

product

>> This might be a "little" off-topic, but I don't think
its _too_ far
>> out...
>>
>> I'm intending to build a "convergence" PC (just LOVE
those
>> buzzwords!")
>>
>> What I basically want is a state-of-the-art WINTEL PC to live in
my
>> AV rack in my lounge, along with the hi-fi / TV / VCR's etc.. The
>> intention being for it to perform several functions, and replace
>> several other seperate boxes:
>>
>> 1) Games playing - replacing the Sony Playstation
>> 2) DVD movie's - removing the need to buy a consumer DVD player.
>> 3) Web-TV - via my ISDN line, for browsing, banking, shopping,
online
>> gaming, TV guide, etc.. AND for accessing by home intranet which
will
>> be the front-end for my MP3 jukebox.
>> 4) MP3 jukebox player - replacing my current CD player.
>> 5) Remote control of other PC's in the house via PC-Anywhere
>> 6) Possibly some HA control as well??
>>
>> The existing 33" TV will be used as the monitor, via a
S-video
>> connection, the keyboard/mouse will be wireless, so only a base
unit
>> will need to live in my rack. I've already specified most of the
>> parts, and already sourced some of them as well. BUT, my main
problem
>> is this:
>>
>> I _REALLY_ don't want a beige PC in my living room!! - I'm having
>> pretty hard time sourcing a base unit that's black (I mean really
>> black, rather than a sort of muddy dark brown!), and
black-fascia'd
>> drives to go in it...
>>
>> So I'd be REALLY greatful if all you helpful guys and gals would
let
>> me know if you hear about anywhere I can get any of these items:
>>
>> Black DVD-ROM drive (zone unrestricted, latest 5X / 6X etc.)
>> Black CD-ROM drive IDE or SCSI, latest 32X / 40X etc.
>> Black ATX (slimline or full) desktop case (not midi/mini/full
tower)

>> I could probably dispense with a dedicated CD drive, if the DVD
drive
>> gives good enough audio CD playback (dual-pickup?) - the reason
being
>> that my wife hasn't "quite" come around to the idea yet,
so I've
had
>> to promise to leave existing CD playback functionality available
>> alongside the MP3 jukebox facility.
>>
>> The idea would be that this PC would be 'always on' - IE available
at
>> least as quickly as any other consumer equipment, so it'd have to
>> conform to the ACPI power-management spec, and the
"OnNow" spec,
so a
>> mere press of the front panel sleep/resume button gives me a
useable
>> computer in about 5 seconds, and I'd want to be able to wake it up
>> automatically by selecting the appropriate TV channel as well,
>> (somehow), so in practice, all I do is pick up my URC, select the
TV
>> channel number for the PC, and after a few seconds, I see my
intranet
>> homepage, which has links for all the services offered by the
PC....

>> I'm not in any hurry - I'm planning on using Windows 2000 as the
OS
>> on this machine, so we're unlikely to be putting it together until
>> Q4, so I'd really appreciate it if you could bear this in mind in
the
>> coming months.
>>
>> If anyone's interested, my planned spec for this machine is as
>> follows: (subject to change!)
>>
>> Intel P111/500Mhz
>> 128MB RAM
>> 10GB  Wide-ultra SCSI disk
>> 3COM 10/100Mb Ethernet card (running at 100Mb)
>> Creative SB Live! soundcard
>> RIVA TNT-2 AGP 32MB 3D graphics card with S-video out
>> Adaptec AHA2940UW PCI wide-ultra SCSI controller
>> 5X SCSI DVD-ROM drive. - Black!
>> 32X /40X SCSI CD-ROM drive. - Black!
>> As yet undecided MPEG2 decoder card for DVD-movies (open to
>> recommendations!)
>> Infrared cordless keyboard/mouse.
>>
>> Here's hoping someone can help me.
>>
>> Thanks y'all
>>
>> Paul Gordon.

>> ----------
>> Does your free web site address contain more letters than the
>> alphabet?
>> Register a domain name with DomainDirect. A domain with NO
>> hosting fees.
>> Visit http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/49
for full details.

>> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ukha_d
>> http://www.eGroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

Why are most stock sites so slow and annoying to use?  StockMaster.com
is fast, easy, powerful, and free!   Use company names, not ticker
symbols.  Track your portfolio.  Visit: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/65