Re: Radio Speakers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Radio Speakers
  • From: "Tim Dawe" <tim.dawe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:49:54 +0100

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, to get
feedback
out of my embryonic PC-based HA system.  I was thinking initially of
something
like a 'welcome home' macro that would announce how many e-mails/voice
messages
were waiting, with the option of playing them back over the remote speakers
(the
biggest problem with using a PC based voicemail system instead of an
answering
machine - having to walk upstairs and turn the monitor on to see if there
any
any messages.).  The Caller ID is a nice idea, now if our local Cable
company
would only offer the service . . .

Do you have any thoughts on suppliers of wireless speakers?

I have seen the Ross units that Tandy sell, though they seem rather
expensive
for this application (transmitter and 1 speaker is GBP100ish and additional
speakers are GBP80ish, though they can do stereo if you want to stump up
for two
speakers at each location and the range is quoted at 45-100m).  Innovations
do a
transmitter (mono only, not a problem for our purposes) and headphones for
GBP30, with additional speakers at GBP20, which seemed more like it, though
they
only claim a range of up to 15m, and given the problems I've had with
wireless
devices in the past, I am always a little sceptical of the ranges claimed
by
suppliers.

Anyone know of any other suppliers?
--
Tim Dawe, Cardiff

Too much effort to find the stock info you want each day? StockMaster
lets you enter a company name and quickly shows you a daily quote,
chart, and news all on one page. Free! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/71

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/ukha_d