X10 in the UK vs USA

Hi...I sent the below e-mail to Smarthome.com and got the response
below...anyone know if its possible to modify these US products to work in
the UK??

Thanks
James

>Dear Sir / Madam
>
>I am very much hoping you can help me. I am new to the X-10 scene, and
>therefore have relatively little knowledge, but am planning on spending
>significant amount of money on X-10 devices....However, I live in
England
>in the UK, where X-10 is extremely rare, and significantly more
expensive
>than in the USA...I have viewed the products which you say are
compatible
>outside of the USA at your web page
>http://www.smarthome.com/foreignnewprod.html
>
>However, the number of products on this page are extremely limited. I
am
>however confused....scanning through a list of your clearance products
at
>http://www.smarthome.com/clearance.html
 I came across several other
>products which I cannot seem to see why they would not work in the UK,
as
>the UK is 240 Volts, and these products seem designed to cope with this
>voltage, and this I thought was the only difference between the USA and
the
>UK.
>
>The products I was particuarly interested in are :
>
>CL-2210ACI HEAVY DTY 250V 20A SWITCH IVRY
>http://www.smarthome.com/2210AC.html
>CL-2242ACW SGL OUTLET RCPT 250V,20A
>http://www.smarthome.com/2246AC.html
>
>Though admittedly you would need an adaptor for the plug type for the
>latter of these as the UK also uses square pin plugs & sockets
>
>I would be VERY grateful if you could spend a few moments explaining to
me
>why it would not be possible to use these two products in the UK.
>
>Many Thanks
>James Ingham
>james.ingham@xxxxxxx

The problem is the way they are wired to get the voltage. In the Uk this
is done between two wires, here it is done with three. Yours is called
single phase 240 volts and here it done by adding two separate phases , so
it is called two phase power at 240 volts. I hope this helps you to
understand a little better. If you have more questions, please write to us
again.

eGroups eLerts!
Exclusive discounts on great gifts
Join Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/28