RE: Home Automation in the UK

Hi Patrick

Thats why I suggested pooling resources.
My background is in hardware with a little BBC Basic for controlling things
although my main job now is Intranet developement involving Web based front
ends for databases etc.

Were is the best place to learn about Linux?
I have seen several references to it on c.h.a but other than that I know
nothing
about it. I am keen to have an Intranet based HA system running at home
where any
PC on the LAN could control and program everything, and with a Browser
running on
a PC fitted with a Video card with TV output any TV in the house could see
what was
happening. A small bit of hardware to interface IR recievers to the PC and
some
software to make the IR commands control the browser and you have a VERY
flexible system for little cost.

By low spec 486 do you mean that a SX33 is OK?

Keith

It's not just hardware either -- it's software. I've had to knock up driver
software for the ActiveHome X10 PC interface, the solwise caller id box,
and
IR control, for example, to run under Linux. If there was sufficient
interest I'd be happy to tidy this stuff up, and post it to the net
(probably as freeware).

Incidentally, I've found Linux to be ideal for HA use - inherent multiuser
support, great reliability, and it'll happily run on a very low spec. 486.
And best of all, it's free!