PC Serial IR Interface

While everyone is discussing the topic of Home Automation, I have a few
questions about Infra Red devices that I am hoping someone can answer.

I am about to start working on a University project involving the design
and
production of a serial device that can receive and transmit IR signals
allowing
the ability to control anything with a remote control.

Due to the fact that I have very little in the way of electronics
experience I
have asked a friend to build such a device.  While this is being completed
have been using a ONE-FOR-ALL 6 and 8 with a serial interface purchased
from
America to allow basic control of pre-programmed devices via a Visual Basic
5
interface and via Voice Control using Dragon Dictate.  At present this
system is
working very well but is a little restricted.

I have read countless papers on IR data protocol, I managed to understand
about
30% of them, but cannot workout how to convert the required signals into
something I can send via a serial port.

Has anyone had any experience of using such a device (Systems such as the
Red
Rat and other IR->PC links).  Or is thinking of doing a similar thing.

I would also like to include the ability to switch the video on or activate
pre-programmed macros via a touch tone phone from anywhere such as from
work
using a Data/Voice/Fax modem.

I know there are products available in America that will carry this out but
they
are all over priced and may restrict the flexibility I am after.

If any of you have a wish list of the sort of functions you would like from
such
a products then please send me some idea's.  I have already considered
grabbing
TV listings and producing customised TV listings allowing you to select
what to
watch during the evenings view.

Any further input would be appreciated

Rob.