Re: Home Automation in the UK

  • To: <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Home Automation in the UK
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick-lidstone@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:01:05 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: ukha@xxxxxxx <ukha@xxxxxxx>
To: 'UKHA List' <ukha@xxxxxxx>
Date: 03 September 1998 21:52
Subject: [ukha] Home Automation in the UK

Hi All,

>From the recent flurry of activity on this list it seems that there are
several of us
designing our own systems due to the high cost or non availability of
commercial
products. It also seems that there is a certain amount of duplication with
2
or 3
people developing almost identical lighting systems etc.

It would be great if we could all pool ideas and come up with a set of
"UKHA
standards"
which could either be based on existing commercial products or be tailored
to the
UK/European market.

[Snip]

-----End Original Message-------

It's not just hardware either -- it's software. I've had to knock up driver
software for the ActiveHome X10 PC interface, the solwise caller id box,
and
IR control, for example, to run under Linux. If there was sufficient
interest I'd be happy to tidy this stuff up, and post it to the net
(probably as freeware).

Incidentally, I've found Linux to be ideal for HA use - inherent multiuser
support, great reliability, and it'll happily run on a very low spec. 486.
And best of all, it's free!

On the hardware side - I'd love to see a wall pattress LCD panel with say 4
push button switches controlled over RS232 or 485 with some sort of
multi-drop protocol - so I could have a low cost reliable menu driven user
interface for each room. I've come across some LCD modules from Jameco in
the US that have virtually all the hardware required - but I doubt I could
get a professional finish if I mounted these up.

A sensibly priced two way handheld remote (RF based perhaps?) with a two
line LCD and half a dozen buttons - which my PC could transmit information
to in real time - would be a godsend too. The RF modules in the Maplin
catalogue look as if they might be just the thing...

Patrick