Re: RE: Stargate

  • To: <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: RE: Stargate
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick-lidstone@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:10:35 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: ukha@xxxxxxx <ukha@xxxxxxx>
To: ukha@xxxxxxx <ukha@xxxxxxx>
Date: 03 September 1998 15:28
Subject: Re: [ukha] RE: Stargate

> Yes, I have considered HomeVision But the problem I have with it is no
> second serial port,

I take it you don't have a PC to dedicate to your HA project then
John?  I plan to buy one of the multi serial port cards for my
"old"
P233MMX and retire it to help the HomeVision run the house (then
I can build that P2 I want!).  Spare serial ports will allow modem,
callerID etc etc to hook up to HV.

---End original message---

This is the approach I've taken. I was lucky to find a cheap 8 port
digiboard, and installed this in a P100 in my broom cupboard. I've added a
digital I/O board to the PC which interfaces to the alarm system and an IR
emitter and some home brew software for control of the TV, video etc. There
is an X10 interface and a couple of terminals attached to the system. A
voice modem allows me to telephone the server when away from home, and a
solwise caller id unit logs incoming calls. Caller id is integrated with an
address book, and is passed on by SMS (pager like messaging for GSM mobile
phones) if I'm out, so I know who has left a message. Attempts to add
speech
synthesis to the system were half successful - but the soundcard which is
built into the motherboard seems temperamental at best.

The only feature I really miss at the moment that is provided by the
HomeVision set up appears to be the TV display - but I notice that Maplins
have an RGB card in their new catalogue and I'm going to give that a go.

Other future plans include an irrigation system for the garden, control of
Panasonic 100 CD juke box, video capture from the security camera on the
front door and perhaps barcode based shopping lists (if I can find a cheap
enough barcode reader)... when I find the time!

Patrick