Re: X.10 for lighting - still limited???

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X.10 for lighting - still limited???
  • From: "Harrison, Mark (Alliance)" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:50:35 +0100

Keith,

In some ways, I'm reassured to hear your view - here's some more =
information
for you on the NJD solution we implemented:

The boxes we are using are the "NJD MP820"s.

They have a MIDI in (standard 5-pin din MIDI cable) and two Bulgin P552
sockets out, carrying 4 power lines each. (I seem to remember that you =
have
to buy the Bulgin plugs separately.)

The power handling is 5A per channel =3D 1.15kVa @ 230V AC with a limit =
of
20Amps per box overall, as you say 1000 watts per channel beats X.10 =
hands
down.

Control is through the MIDI in - you set a MIDI channel, and a range of
Notes by internal switches - each lighting channel responds to a =
different
note, and you turn a light on by sending a "MIDI ON" message to
the =
right
channel and note, with the attack volume corresponding (1-255) to the
desired lighting level. As with a MIDI sound device, you turn a light =
off by
sending a "MIDI ON" message with attack volume of 0.

You may be amused to know that as a result of this, an old MIDI =
keyboard
becomes a useful tool for debugging the electrical installation ;-)

In principle, you can control fade times using MIDI CONTROL CHANGE =
commands
- At the moment we only have ON-Level / OFF functionality implemented =
in the
software.

If you need more than 8 channels, you need to buy more NJD boxes
(obviously), but will also need to get a "MIDI distribution
amplifier."
Something like the Phillip Reese V8 or V10 (8 and 10 MIDI channels thus =
64
or 80 lighting channels resptectively) which Turnkey sell for =
=A335.95+VAT and
=A339.95+VAT. With the power handling on the NJDs, these are =
"independant
lighting channels" rather than "lights", so this could be 4
=
lights/channel
giving 240 lights - hopefully enough for most domestic installations! =
(Not
sure on my spelling of that product, Turnkey are on 0171 419 9999.)

The software we're using to hold it all together is P. Scargil's =
"APPCON"
(CIX users can find him on the CIX homeautomation conference.) The =
software
doesn't support MIDI devices, but he gave one of the partners a copy of =
the
Visual Basic source code, so we had to add a shareware MIDI library.

Given we were completely rewiring, we put in "normal switches"
but then
wired them back to a central patch panel separately from the lighting
wiring. This meant that we could patch them through to lights bypassing =
the
Home Automation stuff completely if required, or patch them through to =
the
serial switch handler on the Appcon control ring. I lose track at this
point, because I don't understand the Appcon stuff in detail - the MIDI
interfacing and the electrical wiring I could handle, the Appcon stuff =
is
dealt with by one of my partners. (There are three of us.)

We felt it was important to be able to cut the "home automation"
out of =
the
loop completely if required (either cos it all failed, or to allow the =
house
to be sold on to a neanderthal if later required.) The patch-panel =
approach
gives us this flexibility. (Accurate labelling of cabling runs is =
critical.)

Mark Harrison
European IT Manager
BP/Bovis Alliance