Re: No Subject

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: No Subject
  • From: "Mark McCall" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:19:39 -0000

> I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount on providing this.  If
anyone on
> this list can suggest better alternatives with info. on how well its
perfomred
> then I would be grateful for their insights.

There's FireWire, there's other proprietry hardwired stuff AMX etc),
there's Cebus (yeah right) there's HomeAPI, there's a multitude of
other ways to go but X10 (imperfect and all as it is) is here and now.

> Are you suggesting that I purchase a number of IR devices and plug
them in the
> relevant places in my home or rather I use something a bit more
complex.  Some
> more info here would be much appreciated as I am still a little
confused ;-(

If it's light etc you want to control with IR then you can put an
inexpensive X10 IR controller in each room.  If you have HV or
similar then you can start to play with macros.  What exactly do
you want to do?

> Sounds good and i'll check out the links although i'd prefer to be in
> situation where I dont need to leave the PC on all the time

HomeVision can be completely stand alone.  You only need PC on
if you want caller ID appearing on your TV screen etc.

> As an aside do you have some method of controlling devices as you
enter your
> home?

At present I plan on using a small group of X10 switches near the
front and back doors (possibly to be replaced with LCD panels in
the fututre) with buttons for, home, away, party, bed etc.

> Ok I'm intrigued, what are the advantages of HomeVision?

HomeVision is around 360 quid at present exchange rates (price of
a half decent VCR).  Heres the inventors sig...

HomeVision: Home automation controller with two-way X-10,
two-way IR, 24 I/O ports, over 50 video screens
on your TV, and much more ...

Rgds

Mark

Mark@xxxxxxx