RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Off Topic Posts (Again)
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:42:21 -0000

> I've asked the question before - but we have to work out what we are:
>
> - Are we a group of friends, who have a common interest in HA, but
want
> to build a community able to talk about anything whether it's related
> HA or not?
>
> OR
>
> - Are we trying to build a forum that will be a useful resource for
> those coming into a new, exciting, technology area, but who want to
use
> this as a place to learn about the various technologies, not wander
into
> a general "Village Meeting" of people who happen to use
these
> technologies?

Mark,

Personally I prefer the former.

If new people wander in they should be directed to FAQs etc for answers
to common questions. If they have specific HA questions then they can
fire away. Provided the OT topics don't get out of hand (and I think
they did at one stage but are now at an acceptable level) we can put up
with it.

As an aside, I think much of the irritation caused by OT posts is
dependant on how they are read. If you only pick up messages once or day
or even once every few days, I can easily see how they can be a major
pain. I'm fortunate to be on-line during the day and see messages in
virtual real time. They're not as obtrusive when picked up in small
batches. Just an observation.

Cheers
Don