Building a new server

  • To: "UKHA List \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Building a new server
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:50:55 -0000

I want to build a server to run windows 2000 server now and windows XP
server in the future. Cash is limited so I will be shopping around for
parts
and recycling stuff I already have, but I do want to future proof as much
as
possible on the motherboard. So does anyone have any advice as to the best
motherboard to get at the moment which is going to work under 2K and XP,
will support the new processors (probably Intel), memory and disks. I
usually buy Abit for the ease in overclocking, but there will not be any
overclocking on my server as I want it to be as stable as possible (without
installing Linux before any smart arse says it). I will probably not go
with
SCSI due to the price differential and will want to recycle some of my
existing hard disks, cd roms, cd-rw etc. I am not too bothered about
recycling memory as it is so cheap now that I can afford to buy it new. I
would be interested in a view on the best TV card to get (mainly for
showshifter use), does anyone know how stable the ATI AIW is likely to be
under 2K and XP server? Would I be better off with Hauppage card and a
separate video card.

On a related point, does anyone have an idiots guide to doing a 2K server
install allowing Terminal Service access from multiple clients (ePODs). I
have never installed TS before and want to make sure I do it right. In fact
complete step by step instructions for installing the server would be good.
I also have Exchange 2000, is it worth installing that at home, what might
use it for, what benefits could it give (Orla and I have separate email
already from our ISP).

Finally what are peoples thoughts about using this server for running all
my
HA related stuff as well, specifically Homevision, ACE, Comfort CSX,
Showshifter, Digiguide and MP3/DIVX serving. Would I be better off having
some or all of this stuff on a separate machine and keep this server for
file/print/fax serving and intranet.

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to get this right.