The Gatwick Cabling Party - write up

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: The Gatwick Cabling Party - write up
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:13:02 -0000

Well,

There were four of us on Saturday - James Hoye has photos ;-)

- James Hoye
- Paul Wootton
- Me
- Mary (as in Mrs. Harrison)

After the first few, we got into our stride, and had a team as follows:

- Paul in the dressing room (wiring closet is the fitted wardrobe)
passing quad runs of cable up to...
- Mark in the loft, pulling through cable, and running it along
guttering to...
- Jame in the loft, with his patent "cable drop" technique (see
below)
feeding down to...
- Mary in the room in question, pulling through.

The "cable drop" technique worked as follows - we were trying to
drop
into the void in a double-drylining wall, which had a series of
"links"
rather than a solid barrier midway down.

- James cuts the hole in the wall below and the ceiling board above
- Mary shines light up so he can aim
- James takes a metal tape measure, and extends it down, (it's stiff
enough to enable aim)
- Mary ties the "cable pull" to the end
--- By this time, Mark and Paul have finished pulling back the slack on
the previous run, and fed out enough cable, and run it to  James for the
new.
- James pulls it back up, and ties the network cable to the cable pull
- Mary pulls back through

What was succesfully completed:

1: Quad point into the bedroom next to the hi-fi rack - first and second
fix!
2: Two Quad points into my study - first and second fix!
3: Quad point into the nursery next to the wardrobe (cable drop inside
wardrobe) - first fix only
4: Two double points further round the nursery - first fix only
--- the nursery ones were "hard", since they involved taking off
the
skirting boards, and chiselling round behind.
5: Holes drilled through the outside wall through from the dressing room
cupboard at floor level, and a "vertical drop" of trunking put in
for
the downstairs cables to be run through.

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher