RE: [OT] WinXPro - IPX Support?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] WinXPro - IPX Support?
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:25:55 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From:
Ian Lowe, Wintermute Consultancy [mailto:ian@xxxxxxx]
Sent:
25 November 2001 14:58
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] WinXPro - IPX Support?

I have now been faced with a problem...

I like XP Pro, love the scanning interface, all the new views, etc..

But I just ripped it off and reinstalled Windows 98.

I play Unreal Tournament, at a fairly good level (Division 4 in the UTA

League) which is fairly typical of DirectX games. In windows 98, I get a

benchmark in 3DMark 2001 of about 6000

When I installed W2KPro, my performance dropped to about 4000: lower

framerates, poor USB mouse performance, juddery screen etc. Even two

driver updates later, it stank.

Windows XP was *even* slower, of the order of about 2750 on Identical

hardware. That’s 32fps as opposed to 75fps in normal gaming.

Basically, Windows XP is pretty, and ncie to use, but it is *terrible*

for any application you actually want to perform worth a damn.

Ian.

Do you think perhaps it is a driver issue Ian?

I had a bit of a religious experience a couple of years ago (religious with a small “r”), and woke up one morning and didn’t like games any more! I used to be a console nut, but for some reason they don’t cut it any more.

I do however have a simulator installed on my PC for my RC helicopter stuff which is pretty heavy on the hardware – there’s lots of transparency smoke etc plus an anti-aliased 3D landscape.

Its been so long since I’ve run W98, but I remember taking a slight drop in terms of frame rate (38fps at 1280x1024x32) down to 36 when switching to Win2k, but that was quickly surpassed when Nvidia brought out a set of Direct X 8 native drivers for Win2k (42fps).

I’ve just had a quick look (I still can’t run XP as a production system as I’m waiting for Compaq to release drivers for the WL100 card) and I get 46 fps in Win XP – and that’s using the bog standard Nvidia driver. Reports are that NVidia’s beta drivers increase performance even more.

I’ve been through several graphics cards over the years, but for the time being I won’t buy anything that doesn’t have NVidia hardware on it. They seem to be very good in terms price/performance, and the driver updates come thick and fast.

While I’ve been typing this I’ve actually recalled the grief that I had during the beta testing of the simulator. With the introduction of DX8 MS changed the implementation of the timer counters that game and sim developers use. There was a compatibility problem with the VIA Southbridge on my motherboard, Windows 2000 and DX8, that exhibited itself as a stuttering (and also means that 3D Mark gives bogus figures in the report which in no way relate to the figures you see on screen while the benchmarks are running). The developer actually showed some foresight (this was about a year ago), and decided that all such issues had to be fixed ahead of time simply because the world was moving towards an NT based architecture.

Die-hard gamers have through necessity restricted themselves to W98, but I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that the developers don’t perform performance tweaks under Windows 2000/XP as WELL as W98/ME? Now XP has become the de-facto standard for new systems they don’t have a lot of choice.

Tim.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx