Latest message you have seen: DDAR's

Re: Din Mounted Mains Relays for lighting control verses AD10s

Chris,

Most of the problems with X10 are either 'lost signals' or interference blocking a signal - but these tend to be more of a problem with 'lonely' X10 modules (eg. AM12 AW10) on separate spurs round the house.  Using DIN mounted modules and having them all in the same place near your X10 transmitter helps a lot.  Also, it's sometimes a good idea to send multiple X10 commands ie. send the same command a few times to ensure the command is done.  Although, depending on the size of your system, this could make things worse - with too many X10 signals being broadcast.

I too was thinking like you when I first started planning my system.  AD10s look quite expensive when you compare them to DIN rail mounted relays.  I was considering using DIN rail mounted latching relays, so I could still use momentary switches to control them and have the switches match those controlling LD11 dimming modules.  But, once you start playing with an AD10 module with something like Comfort or HomeVision then there's nothing quite like it.

I'll give you some examples of what I'm using AD10s for:

Kettle control: two single boxes - one with a socket with the switched supply from AD10 and the other with a 2 gang face plate with a momentary switch and a neon indicator (fed from the switched supply)  The kettle is filled and the AD10 switched off with the momentary switch.  When I want to boil the kettle I can use Philips Pronto to tell HomeVision to 'force ON' the AD10.  The same setup could be used for other appliances.

Oven/Hob control:  Electric oven control is similar to above, but AD10 controls a 30A contactor.  With the oven on X10 control I can turn it on to preheat when I'm coming home (via Web or Comfort phone menu).  I'm also putting the gas hob on an AD10 so I can turn off the gas supply to the hob.  I did this because I've got a 2 year old son who's more into gadgets than me and is always tinkering with buttons and switches - and I didn't want him to be able to turn on all the gas taps on the front of the hob and end up filling the house with gas and blowing us up!  I could have controlled this via a relay, but when you think what you can do if you use an AD10 then there are obvious advantages.  ie. on the toilet etc... and left the spuds on to boil over.  Well simply use a Pronto to turn off the gas via HomeVision or Comfort.  (but not turn it on!)  You could even get Comfort to switch off the oven/hob if a heat or smoke detector is triggered.

Outside power sockets:  several outside sockets fed from an AD10.  As well as for general power use around the garden I plan to use the sockets at Christmas for Xmas lights.  I can then automatically switch things on/off using X10 either using a Pronto or from a schedule.

I've wired quite a lot of things like this - underfloor heating, dedicated socket outlets for certain appliances, air con in bedroom, external lighting.

You could argue that it could all still be done using relays controlled via L/V from Comfort or HomeVision, but as you start adding equipment you'll soon run out of outputs.  Keep these outputs for 'critical' controls such as heating, sprinklers etc... and other applications where an X10 failure would cause problems.

As for your last question.  (BTW you've got a very similar layout to me)  There's no real reason that Comfort HAS to be positioned in your boiler room as X10 signals should propagate throughout your house wiring.  However, if there were any problems you could always run a spur from Comfort's X10 transmitter down to your boiler room.

Regards,

Simon

PS.  When you choose lots of DIN rail mounted modules you're going to need a large unit to put them in.  If you get stuck finding anything suitable I stock 54 way (3 x 18 way) enclosures with transparent door and optional lock.