Re: X10 - Wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 - Wiring
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:24:17 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Frost Neil <neil.frost@i...> wrote:
> *	An LD11 DIN Rail module sits in a standard consumer unit.

Yes. Make sure the consumer unit has a "full" DIN rail. Some are
half
DIN rails which will work but the LD11 will not lock into place.

> *	The mains comes from the house consumer unit into the X10
consumer
> units isolator switch.

Yes. Think of the mains as the source to a lighting ring, but instead
of beginning the lighting ring, it goes to the Consumer unit. I do
not use a local isolator switch on my LD11 banks since the MCB in the
main consumer unit does that job already and an isolator would just
take up space.

> *	The live to the light comes from the LD11 and the Neutral
comes from
> the X10 consumer unit.

Yes.

> *	The (momentary) light switch live comes from the X10 consumer
unit,
> the neutral comes from the LD11.

More or less. The light switch has live and switched live and the
LD11 goes in series with the switched live. Going by standard wiring
colours, then you have the right idea with your reference to neutral
but it is actually live.

> *	They will work without any X10 interface and will just switch
> on/off, dim from the switch.

Yes.

> *	When using an X10 interface such as with comfort, the
interface sits
> before the first X10 consumer unit.

No. The X10 interface(s) can go anywhere on the power line.

> *	The X10 interface can sit anywhere on the mains and control
the X10
> devices.

Yes. This seems to contradict your last statement though.

> *	If I have upstairs and downstairs on different MCB's in the
house
> consumer unit then I would need more than one X10 interface.

Not unless they are on different phases. X10 will cross over the
different circuits.

> *	I can control a series of say 6 mains halogen lights as long
as I
> don't go over 700watts.

Yes, as long as you stay under the limits of the module, wiring and
circuit.

HTH.

Mark.